Q: What is managed hosting?
A: Managed hosting is simply renting an entire web server from a web hosting provider who helps you manage the server. The provider can help you set up and configure web server for web sites, manage backup, administer the database and etc. The managed hosting option allows you the ability to maintain a large website while not having to be concerned about employing the staff to support it.
Q: Why should I choose managed hosting?
A: Managed hosting offers you the opportunity to rent an entire server with on-location technical support. You can custommize the server as you want. You should select a managed hosting if your web site requires customized options and you don't have enough time and knowledge to manage the server.
Q: Why shouldn't I choose managed hosting?
A: Manged hosting is powerful, yet expensive. If your sites don't require a huge resource and the level of support that manged hosting offers, you shouldn't.
Q: What are the advantages of Managed Hosting?
Managed hosting offers many enticing features such as:
- Do not have to purchase own equipment
- Do not have to update/maintain equipment
- Do not have to manage server operation yourself
Q: What are the disadvantages of Managed Hosting?
The most disconcerting factor of the Managed Hosting is the cost but alas, there are other disadvantages such as:
- Must depend on Web Host Provider
- If Data Transfer Allowance is exceeded, a financial Penalty is assessed.
- The Web Hosting Provider charges hefty monthly fees as you're paying not just for the physical hosting, but also for the support they provide. The server is the property of the service provider, which means all you own is the data you put on the server. Unlike colocation, you can not simply pick up your server and walk away if you're unhappy with the service.
Q: What are your main concerns when searching for a managed hosting provider?
- Having a large enough website to justify the cost
- The cost
- Security of Data and equipment
- High Bandwidth
- Trust in the knowledge and integrity of the web hosting provider
- Technical support from the web hosting provider
- Speed and Uptime
Q: What is the difference between managed hosting and dedicated server?
A: A dedicated server is a server provided by a web host for you to rent. Managed hosting is similar but also comes with services from a provider to help you manage the server.
Q: What is the difference between managed hosting and colocation?
A: Colocation means you store your own server at a facility of a colocation provider. A colocation provider provides an internet connection to your server and allows you physical access to your own server when you need it. Managed hosting means you rent a server from a provider and get a level of support that helps you manage the server.