Shockbyte Reviews

Shockbyte
72 reviews of Shockbyte

MICHAEL L K PHELAN

Deceptive business practices. Terrible customer service.
I cannot recommend this service based on business practices. I originally ordered a server for a group of friends. Easy enough. However, it was not until AFTER my card was charged that I was told they were experiencing 'too much demand' and that I would have to wait 24 hours. Server rentals for friend groups over vacations don't have that timeframe; if they are experiencing that sort of lag, the customer deserves to be told up front.

For the next 48 hours any attempt to contact them was met with only a solid wall of autotext and no motion was made to change my enrollment or process a refund.

Upon expiration of 48 hours, my server was spun up(still, a full 24 hours post their own estimate), and I FINALLY had the option to cancel service myself. Now I find that my unused, late, ignored server can only be cancelled on the next bill date.

They have deliberately set up the structure of the buying process to deliver less and charge you more. I will never use this company, and I suggest you make the same choice.

Services Period: Past customer during December, 2021 - December, 2021

Dario

Great prices, horrendous customer support, never again.
First things first: the prices and value for money was incredibly good compared to other contrahents.

But what I'm about to describe is something that should keep you away from shockbyte and use other hosts.
I've bought a ~$20 plan for my friends and me to play modded minecraft. I can't speak for any server related issues, because I have sent a cancellation refund after I bought the server. My friend already had one and we miscommunicated on that part. Like I said, I was sending a cancellation ticket to the customer support stating why I didn't need the server anymore and my apologies, yet they didn't cancel the billing and charged me the initial costs + monthly costs as well.

This experience alone shows that customer service is more important than prices & values and I've learned that I will never buy anything from Shockbyte again as well as warn as many people as I can.

Services Period: Past customer during March, 2021 - March, 2021

Dan

beware
terrible customer service repeating what they said previously multiple times. also had many glitches that wont let you run minecraft commands. also shockbyte didnt let me make myself the owner by somehow making the gmail the owner. When i tried to switch to my mc user it said User not found over and over even though I have went on multiple minecraft websites that have easily found my minecraft account with ease such as namemc.

Services Period: Active customer at the time of review. Customer since March, 2021

Biggie Boss

Buyer Beware
0 stars if I could. Got a Rust server, server wasn't showing up in server list, they told me to just manually connect with an IP. Well that doesn't help because if it doesn't show in the list, nobody will join the server. Nobody from tech support got back to me. When their "QA" team responded, they told me the refund period was over...

Services Period: Past customer during February, 2021 - March, 2021

Mike

Stay away
Customer service is lacking in all areas, very abrupt when they finally reply, all about how if something i did was over a certain file size they would take action (great way to keep customers), servers even under normal use are very laggy. They have a system where u pau $3 to fast track your support ticket (just a money scammer) my unpaid answer got answered before my fast tracked one.

Mitchel Janke

You get what you pay for
Playing a modpacks with some friends so we rented a server as I didn't want to be running a server 24/7 on my computer.

They have two different types of service. One that is 24/7 which amounts to a customer service desk and one that's tech support. Their tech support can take days to get back to you. I put in a ticket and waited a literal week and the response I received when asking about the laggy server was a link to a bunch of possible things it could be (roughly 10-15 different completely unrelated things) and mods I can add to the server to help it. It's obvious nobody actually checked what was going on in any way or that it would happen at all. I've been using them a month and just renewed for a second month because I couldn't figure out how to get my world down to transfer it to another company. At the end of this second month I will be cancelling regardless as the server is really rough sometimes and we get random DCs as the server just implodes.

To be fair we're running a heavy modpack (GT New Horizons) but according to the modpack creator and admins you don't need more then 3gig ram to run it and I ordered a 4 just in case. Even with nobody on the server I get notifications of slowdowns and have the server randomly shut down and restart.

Services Period: Active customer at the time of review. Customer since January, 2021

Markus Zangers

Worst hosting Service
I bought a 30 player plan with a server management add on expecting to receive some support. My server took 36 hours to go and once it did go up I couldn't really do watch with what resources I was given. The ticket system is one of the worst. I ended up waiting 24 hours after the 36 hours I waited for and still I was given very limited advice and help. I ended up cancelling my plan a week later after getting frustrated with the limited customer support and reliability. Furthermore, I got charged an additional month when I cancelled my plan 23 days prior to the end of the month. This is a very poor service I strongly recommend paying for better quality server hosting.

Services Period: Past customer during November, 2020 - December, 2020

Jedd

Scam
Do not purchase

Services Period: Active customer at the time of review. Customer since December, 2020

DiemNox

Horrible support
Purchased an ARK server. It was missing the .ini files needed to run and wouldn't start. Put in ticket and contacted them through their chat. They responded in chat within about 30 minutes, which was good. However, the person in chat told me I had to wait 72 hours after putting in the ticket before someone was required to do anything about it. I asked if I would have to pay for the days I was unable to use the service, and I was told that I'd have to put in another ticket to ask that question to their billing section.

I guess I could always pay another $3 to expedite the ticket to get the service I'm paying for to work.

Vlad Arambasa

I don't recommend it!
The uptime and simplicity of Shockbyte are good, relatively speaking. For 2.5$, it's fine. I play it with some of my students. It's ok.
The customer service however ...
If I say they are unprofessional, I would not tell you the real value of their work. To put it simple: I doubt they could pour the water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Another problem I have encountered is the fact that it's very very hard to manipulate files and make back-ups.
Files go, wherever the devil they want (and yes, I know how to use a FTP, I've configured servers before).

At some point, I stopped the server to add something my friends and I were making in Singleplayer and when I started it up again... everything has been reset. I mean that even those buildings who were there before the modification occured were now gone, 5 years of progress.

I then made a backup of the files (somehow, I had a backup on my PC that I didn't know of) and it took forever to make.

All in all, the service is one of the worst, if not the worst, I have ever received from a hosting provider.

Review Shockbyte